We recently signed up for a local CSA again, which has been really awesome! As opposed to the abundance of zucchini we got with our last CSA, this time we’ve been getting a lot of beets. So we’ve had to come up with some creative ways to utilize them:
This is beet bread, which is just like zucchini bread except with beets. I used the following recipe:
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1.5 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/8 cups white sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-5 beets, depending on size (I used 5 small beets)
- Combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon in a bowl
- Mix eggs (yes, I know 1.5 eggs is annoying. It was a half recipe. You'd probably be fine with 2 eggs), oil, sugar, and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients; mix well.
- Finely shred the beets with a food processor, and mix into the dough.
- Place mixture in a bread pan and cook at 325 F for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Oh, and as an added bonus, it looks like you put someone through a wood chipper before you cook the thing: