This is a recipe that our good friend A introduced us to. It’s pretty easy to make, and it makes a LOT, so you can have lots of delicious leftovers. It also freezes very well.
Asian Lettuce Wraps
- Large lettuce or cabbage leaves
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, or to taste
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 can bamboo shoots
- Green onions, chopped
- 2-3 carrots, chopped
- 4 teaspoons Asian (dark) sesame oil
- Rinse greens and pat dry. Set aside.
- Brown the ground turkey over medium heat. Drain, and set aside to cool.
- Saute the yellow onion in the same pan over medium heat until tender, stirring frequently. Add the garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, and rice wine vinegar, stir, and let simmer 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in bamboo shoots, green onions, carrots, browned meat and sesame oil, and continue cooking until the onions, carrots, and cabbage just begin to wilt, about 3-4 minutes.
- Spoon meat filling into lettuce or cabbage leaves and eat up!
This recipe is super-versatile; make some rice and put those in the wraps along with the meat, or just serve over rice, as well. Or in pita with hummus. Or plain. Or noodles.