A couple of nights ago I decided to make tortilla soup. I’ve made such soup in the past, and it’s come out decently ok, but our friend A was visiting and she insisted that I had to make her the most awesome meal ever or she would be quite put out.
So anyways, I poked around about ten different recipes for tortilla soup, and cobbled together the best elements of each into this:
- 4 large chicken thighs
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small poblano pepper, diced fine
- 1 29oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 3.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 29oz can hominy, drained
- 1-2 14oz cans corn (or 2-4 ears of fresh corn)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 small vine-ripened tomato, chopped
- 1 small lemon
- 1 lime
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips
- Queso fresco or goat cheese
- In a large pot, boil the chicken thighs until tender, about 25-30 minutes. Remove thighs from pot, remove skin and bones, and shred with a fork. Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook the onion and pepper in olive oil for about 5 minutes, until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add in the tomatoes, chicken broth, hominy, and chicken. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low to simmer.
- In a skillet over high heat, add more oil. When the oil is hot, add the corn kernels. Cook until they start to brown and pop. Add corn kernels to soup. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado; mix in the tomato, and squeeze in the juice from the lemon. Mix together until smooth, and add salt to taste (make some leftovers for your chips!)
- Ladle the soup into a bowl; sprinkle cheese over the top, and spoon a generous portion of guacamole on top. Serve.
I’m not usually one to toot my own horn (oh, who am I kidding), but this was a pretty awesome tortilla soup. I think the secret was the fire-roasted tomatoes. One recipe I found swore by them, and I was pretty happy with the added fire-roasted-ness. The other secret was the guacamole, which most people don’t put on tortilla soup but they totally should because OMG like BEST THING EVER.
Errr. Sorry about that. I appear to be channeling an illiterate teenage monster today.
Anyhow, the take-away message is that guacamole is yummy and should go on soup.